Skip to main content

 Religious WindowThis is the sixth stained glass window for our cathedral. It is donated by the three religious communities that are closely involved with providing service to the people in this parish and the larger Colony.

The monks of St. Peter’s Abbey came to Muenster in 1903 with the first settlers, to minister to them spiritually. Muenster became the centre of St. Peter’s Colony which was soon dotted with 24 parishes. Parish work became a major apostolate of the monks, and a monk has been pastor of this parish for its entire history. The monks resided in a monastery behind the cathedral and started St. Peter’s Press to print a weekly newspaper called the St. Peter’s Bote. The monks moved a mile south to a new site in 1920.

The Elizabethan Sisters arrived from Austria in 1911. At the request of Abbot Bruno, they took ove3r the abbey kitchen and laundry. They lived in a convent behind the cathedral until they moved to the new site with the monks in 1920. The Elizabethan Sisters were largely involved in health care in St. Peter’s Colony. That included St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Humboldt and St. Michael’s Hospital in Cudworth. They also provided catechetical instructions in this area.

The Ursuline Sisters arrived from Germany in 1913. They took charge of the parochial school at Muenster and soon were teaching in most of the schools in St. Peter’s Colony. A school and Sisters residence was built on the cathedral grounds in 1917 and this served as the school until 1956. The Sisters also accepted boarders. The Sisters still have a convent in Muenster.

The mid section of the window features historical sites associated with each of the three religious communities. The upper part shows St. Peter’s College and Abbey, built in 1920, a residence for both monks and students. Beneath, on the left, is the Ursuline Convent and Academy at Bruno a residence for both Ursuline Sisters and students. On the right is the first St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Humboldt, which also served as a residence for the Sisters.

On the bottom panel are the three symbols associated with each of the communities, from left: the Elizabethan Sisters, the Ursuline Sisters and the Benedictines.

The top panel’s three intertwined circles symbolizes the Trinity. The panel beneath has a rainbow, which is the sign God used to remind us of his provident care for his people and for all creation. Through the years God has abundantly blessed this part of his creation.

By Abbot Peter Novecosky

Installation Date: July 6, 2010