Welcome from St. Peter's Parish

Welcome to St. Peter’s Parish in Muenster, Saskatchewan.

St. Peter’s Parish is a Roman Catholic congregation of about 100 families. We extend an invitation to everyone to come and celebrate Sunday Mass with us. All newcomers to the area are invited to join our faith community.There is something old, spectacular and new about St. Peter’s Parish.

Fr. Demetrius Wasylyniuk, OSB began serving as the pastor of St. Peter’s Parish in August of 2020.

Fr. Demetrius is a monk of St. Peter’s Abbey where he serves as the guest master and beekeeper. He is well-known in St. Peter’s College, having spent many years on St. Peter’s College board of directors. In 1989, he was solemnly professed as a monk and, in 1996, ordained to the priesthood. He noted that he has helped pastors in their ministries as a priest in the last 24 years but has never been a pastor. Bishop Mark Hagemoen has appointed Fr. Demetrius to his first assignment as a full-time pastor. Fr. Demetrius is also Bi Ritual (Ukrainian Greek Catholic Rite). He celebrates Divine Liturgy (sacraments) in the Ukrainian-Greek Catholic Church.

Here is a bit of history about the Parish written by Fr. Paul Paproski, OSB (Order of St. Benedict) who served as the Parish Priest from 2015-2020:

Constructed in 1910, St. Peter's church has stood as a witness to the presence of God for more than a century. The house of worship was raised by pioneers who wanted a home where they could gather as a faith community and give glory to God. The pioneers built the parish in the heart of St. Peter’s Colony, a German-Catholic settlement. Pioneers of the colony came from the United States, Canada, and Europe. They were joined by Benedictines who provided the faithful with German-speaking priests.

Inside the church sanctuary are 80 life-sized frescos, completed in 1919 by Count Berthold Von Imhoff who wanted to bring a touch of Europe to the heart of Saskatchewan. The paintings are complemented by beautiful statuary and large Stations of the Cross. The art brings inspiration through beauty and picturesque illustrations of people and events from the Gospels.

After over 100 years of boldly weathering many storms, St. Peter’s Parish was renovated. The upgrading preserved the building’s original character and introduced new outdoor siding, a new hardwood floor and stained-glass windows. A parish picnic was held in 2010 to commemorate the centennial of the parish.

St. Peter’s Parish looks forward to another century of gathering as a faith community and giving glory to God.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)

Fr. Paul Paproski, OSB

Directions

St. Peter’s Church is located off of Hwy 5 - ½ km north of Muenster and ½ km east.


View Larger Map

St. Peter's Cemetery. 1/2 mile south of St. Peter's Church

Navigation